Michigan Expungement Lawyers in Royal Oak
EXPUNGEMENT OF MICHIGAN MISDEMEANORS & FELONIES
Everyone deserves a chance to wipe the slate clean. Maybe you’ve been convicted of a crime in the past. Maybe that past conviction is making it hard to find work or good housing. Fortunately, the laws have changed. Our Michigan expungement lawyers are here to help get your Michigan criminal record expunged.
Benefits of Michigan Expungement
Expungement means having a public criminal record set aside, or wiped clean, in a court of law. Michigan’s Clean Slate legislation now makes it easier to expunge Michigan misdemeanors and felonies. Expungement has many benefits, including:
- More employment opportunities
- Lower insurance premiums
- Fair access to safe and affordable housing
- Eligibility for student loans
- Ability to apply for a concealed pistol license
What Can Be Expunged?
Michigan’s Clean Slate law changes how several offenses can be expunged. Here are some of the highlights:
- You may petition to set aside marijuana offenses committed prior to recreational marijuana legalization if the same offense would not be considered a crime today.
- More Michigan traffic offenses are now eligible for expungement
- If multiple felonies or misdemeanors happened within 24 hours—but were not assaultive crimes, did not involve a dangerous weapon and did not carry a penalty of 10 or more years in prison—then they may be treated as a single felony or misdemeanor conviction, also known as “one bad night.”
Take Control of Your Michigan Expungement
Some criminal records may be automatically expunged under the Clean Slate law, but that will take years. If you sit by and wait, you could miss out on opportunities. Here’s why it pays to be proactive:
- There’s a 7- to 10-year waiting period for misdemeanors and felonies to be automatically expunged. But if you proactively apply for expungement, you only need to wait 3 to 7 years.
- Only 2 felonies and 4 misdemeanors can be automatically expunged, and only a handful of offenses qualify. If you take charge and apply now for Michigan expungement, then many more are eligible, including:
- A serious misdemeanor
- Crimes involving assault or dishonesty (theft, fraud, money laundering)
- An offense punishable by at least 10 years in prison
- A felony involving a minor, vulnerable adult, injury or serious impairment, death or human trafficking
How to Apply for Michigan Expungement
Applying for expungement is a multi-step process. It’s important to get each step right. If you mess up your application, you’ll have to wait three years before you can try again. Or worse, you could be charged with falsifying a document—a felony!
That’s why it’s critical to have the right Michigan expungement lawyers help you with your application. We’ll walk you through each step:
- Check eligibility: Determine if you’re eligible by checking your criminal record online using the Michigan State Police Internet Criminal History Access Tool (ICHAT).
- Order records: Order a certified record of convictions from the clerk of the court where the convictions occurred.
- Fill out the application to set aside conviction(s) (Form MC 227).
- Get fingerprinted.
- Get your application notarized and sign the application.
- Make copies.
- File the application with the court.
- Serve your application by sending copies in the mail.
- Prepare for a hearing in front of a judge. Our attorneys will guide you through this important step.
- Make a good impression on your court date.
Experienced Michigan Expungement Lawyers
When you’re ready for a fresh start and a clean slate our experienced Michigan expungement lawyers can help. We’ll do everything in our power to get your criminal record sealed and out of the public’s view. This can open up opportunities for your employment, housing, education and future.
The Right Attorneys for Your Michigan Expungement Case
This is your shot at wiping your criminal record clean. Don’t waste it by standing idly by and waiting for automatic expungement. Or worse, don’t risk applying on your own and getting it wrong. Choose the right expungement attorney to help you understand Michigan’s Clean Slate law. Together, we’ll work to set aside your public criminal record.
Contact Our Michigan Expungement Lawyers In Royal Oak Today
Call 248-932-0900 or contact us online for a free consultation. Our experienced Michigan expungement lawyers serve Royal Oak, Ferndale, Madison Heights, Berkley and the surrounding areas in Oakland, Wayne and Macomb counties. Reach out today to see how we can help.